Wednesday, October 8, 2014

From the desk of Hillshire, the clinic cat, Happy "Catober"



  

 Greetings Y’all and Happy Catober! Hillshire the clinic cat here and I’m so excited they gave me the chance to tell you all about Feline month here at Animal Medical Clinic of Goose Creek.

  I was so excited when I heard the team talking about feline month here at AMC. Finally, a month that’s all about me and what I want…sadly I soon found out that it was not “Hilly-tober”, but I was okay with that after I heard a little of what they were all talking about.  I lead a life of luxury here, what with a full team to attend to filling my dishes, rubbing my back, and keeping my catnip toys full, but what you may not know is that back when I was a young tom, before I became part of the AMC family, I was an indoor/outdoor cat. That’s right folks; I roamed the grassy neighborhood lawns, climbed trees, and was a hunter-extraordinaire! I know all about how tough life can be for a kitty, especially homeless kitties with no staff…ahem…I mean family.

  Outdoor cats and feral/free roaming cats are exposed to a lot of scary things. They are at risk for attacks by other animals, being hit by cars, infections caused by parasites, poisons/toxins, and a bunch of diseases that are passed from cat to cat in the outdoor cat population. The really sad thing is that there are so many cats that aren’t spayed or neutered and they keep making kittens that don’t have homes and aren’t part of a family. Those kittens then become part of the outdoor cat population and are at risk for all those same dangerous things and the cycle just keeps repeating itself.

  The team here at Animal Medical Clinic wanted to offer help to some of those feral or “neighborhood” cats here in our area. You know the ones…everyone feeds them, but they really don’t have their own family to take care of them. The team says we are doing a TNR (trap-neuter-release) day on October the 16th. If you don’t know much about that, the idea is to spay or neuter the stray/feral or neighborhood cats then rerelease them back to their territory. They won’t be able to make more kittens and they will be less likely to fight with their friends. They are even going to vaccinate them for Rabies before they let them go again. Rabies is super scary and unvaccinated outdoor cats are at a high risk for this disease.

I was able to get you some Intel on the costs and info if you know of a feral or outdoor unowned cat who might need to come take advantage of TNR day here at AMC:

Feline Spay: $60.00
Feline Neuter $ 50.00
Rabies 1 year vaccination $10.00

  If you give them a call, the team can even give you some hints and tips about how to coax that stray kitty into a carrier or trap(They’re a sneaky bunch) and get them safely over here to the clinic and then back home again.

Check out the links I found online to learn more about this whole, outdoor kitty love thing:





Don’t fret my feline friends; if you are a pampered indoor cat like me they have some great things for you too…
This month there is a lot of cool stuff going on here if you are a cat….send your staff…I mean family, down to pick up your Revolution for the month and have them “spin it to win it” with the feline prize wheel and bring you home a treat. If you are due for your annual exam, there is a 10% discount on wellness visits (felines only…tell them it’s cause we’re cooler), and on October 29th, National Cat day, all cat owners should stop by and pick up a treat for their feline friends….but not too many because I’m hoping to take all the leftovers back to the cat room with me!

Purrs and tummy-rubs,

Hilly

No comments:

Post a Comment